Monday, January 24, 2005

Bangkok - Sweaty

Walked across the tarmac in Kathmandu to board the Thai Airways airplane under grey skies and with a cutting wind blowing through my clothes. From the air I watched the Himalayas out of the airplane window until they faded out of view ("Is that the Lhotste-Nuptse wall? I think that's where we were . . .").

Landed after sunset in Bangkok and walked out of the airport into a wall of sweltering, humid air. Caught the bus to the tourist part of town, Khao San Road, and checked into some place that had walls, a door that locked, and something to sleep on. Luckily I got smart and checked my luggage all the way to LAX, no need to pick it up at any time during the trip. See you in California, baggage. Just a small day bag with the necessities in it.

". . . I got a little black book with my poems in. Got a bag, got a toothbrush and a comb . . ." - Pink Floyd

I was struck by the modernity and westernization of Bangkok. The bus ride took me on wide, smooth multi-lane highways, bright billboards, giant buildings of companies like Phillips Electrical, 7-11, and major banks all represented. The air quality here is really good, too. Plenty of motorcycles and tuk-tuks, but not a lot of soot and such.

The bus ride was short, maybe 30 minutes and I arrived at Khao San Road. Khao San Road is the strip at Las Vegas, Asian style. Young tourists, both Western and Asian wander the bright, neon-lit road crowded with booths and stalls set up in front of the rows of hotels and restaurants that coat the area. As is Asia, you can buy and eat all manner of things. You can even have your hair dreadlocked by a crowd of young hairdressers right there on the street in under an hour. I watched some guy undergoing the process. Looks like they braid it and then "tease" the braids with some sort of metal tool to start the dreading process.

Calmness and nearly deserted roads are only a few blocks away, however, as I found when I wandered a bit to orient myself, as I often do when I first get to a place. Slowly widening circles from the first point of reference that I arrive at. Actually got stopped by two police riding on a small dirt-bike and asked to see some ID and look through my bag. "Don't mind at all, boys, don't mind at all . . . have a safe night." I guess lone pedestrians on non-random search patterns near tourist areas warrant a look-see. Good work, Bangkok PD.

So, early to bed and then maybe take a tour of the city on some tourist bus before I head back to the airport. Damn, it is sweaty in this city! Glad I have AC in my little tourist-box!

Next stop: Los Angeles via Hong Kong

1 Comments:

Blogger Gerald Ashby said...

Hot and sweaty there- cold and clear here. Check the blog at: http://changedheart.blogspot.com for the latest and looking forward to hearing more about your trip from a 'local' phone.

11:20 AM  

<< Home