Sunday, October 03, 2004

Albuquerque - Appearances

Tired of seeing "Albuquerque" in front of each post? The idea is that when I'm traveling I will put the city name from whence I am posting first, and a somewhat descriptive title afterwards. Apologies as I remain stationary for the next eight days.

Eight days! That's all that's left. I feel I have a lot to do in that short time.

I visit the doctor tomorrow for some prescription meds for my medical kit - - antibiotics and painkillers. Things you hope you don't need but are surely glad you have when the time comes. The antibiotics are mostly for stomach issues, which are reputed to be easily dealt with if one has these items. I also need to get the vacination for typhoid fever, the last one I need. Perhaps some malaria meds as well - - need to talk to the doctor about the usefulness.

Today I re-waterproofed my tent, which had been dwelling in the back of my mind as something that needed to be done. The tent is in fine condition, but I used it all summer in Colorado, during which time it saw a lot of rain. Still waterproof, but I thought I'd just give it a bit of an edge against the damp.

Some changes were made to the blog today - - the lovely Nepalese carpet was added as a fixed background. The text scrolls, but it does not. I hope the image loads fast enough and doesn't bog anyone's system down. Thought it would add some spice to the site. Black on red. How very.

The pile of goods to bring gets smaller. This week I will post the complete list and weights.

The itinerary I am building in my head is looking better, too. I believe I will spend as much time as possible in the Nepalese and Indian Himalayas, until it simply gets far too cold and then head south. A long train ride across India from around Darjeeling sometime in December/January is looking good - - unless John Geissman, my professor, makes good his intent to do some research in the Assam region in January. Then I would stay and assist.

The Ganges boat trip is looking good, too, however it is geographically distant from the Himalayas, and would require a change of gears and gear. Going from large down jackets, boots, and huge sleeping bags to sheets, sandals and sunscreen (and mosquitos!). It might be possible to put all this gear somewhere and head south, to later return for it, but it seems like a logistical issue. Might not be so bad.

More on the potential river trip tomorrow, perhaps.

Perhaps not. This blog, although fun, sure eats up a lot of time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home